A would-be bomber who planned a terror outrage to mark the anniversary of the 9/11 attack is facing years behind bars in Germany.
The 21-year-old student had been trying to buy weapons to create an attack based on the Boston Matathon bombing nine years ago.
But he stumbled across an undercover American agent who reported him to local police.
The would-be bomber – named only as Abdurrahman C. – was found guilty of terror offences at the Hanseatic Higher Regional Court on 5th July.
He now faces up to seven years in jail.
Prosecutor Simon Henrichs told the court the suspect’s arrest has prevented multiple deaths.
He said: “The evidence has fully confirmed the charges.”
The German-Moroccan suspect had intended to carry out a terrorist attack on the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attack on New York.
C’s father is a radical Islamist who operated in the al-Quds Mosque in Hamburg, which had been attended by some of the 9/11 attackers including Mohamed Atta, Marwan al-Shehhi, Ramzi bin al-Shibh, and Ziad Jarrah from the Hamburg cell.
C. started to buy large quantities of chemicals and other kits to make nail bombs.
He also tried to buy a Makarov gun with 50 rounds of ammunition, as well as a hand grenade which he found on the Darknet.
However, he unknowingly came across an undercover US agent who reported him to the Federal Criminal Police Office.
The two agreed to meet at the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant to hand out the weapons.
Bun C. was instead arrested and accused of plotting a serious act of violence endangering the state.
C. was placed in juvenile prison on the Hahnofersand island in the state of Lower Saxony and has been in custody since 26th August 2021.
The defendant had also used “9112001” as a cell phone password where he had stored extensive Islamist propaganda, including speeches by former al-Qaeda boss Osama bin Laden and a large number of instructions for bomb construction.
Henrichs stated: “This shows the great importance that this date had for the accused.”
C. has meanwhile not shown any remorse or distanced himself from his radical views.
The federal prosecutor’s office demanded seven years in prison.
The State Protection Senate is expected to announce its verdict on Friday (8th July).