The 21 teenagers who mysteriously died at a bar in South Africa were killed by toxic fumes from a petrol generator, say forensic experts.
Twelve girls and nine boys – aged between 13 and 17, according to reports – mysteriously died at Enyobeni Tavern in Scenery Park, East London, in the early hours of Sunday, 26th June.
Police called to the two-storey venue at around 4am found 17 lifeless victims inside, while four died at or en route to health centres. Some sources gave the death toll as 22.
The victims showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to preliminary post-mortem examinations.
Dr Solomon Zondi, chief medical officer at the East London mortuary, told local media the bodies showed signs of “chemical asphyxia”.
At the time of reporting, the forensic pathologists were still finalising their work and the final autopsy results were yet to be published.
Preliminary investigations suggest the victims inhaled fumes from a petrol generator.
It is not clear if the generator was running or how long it was running, but survivors confirmed there had been a power cut at the venue.
The Eastern Cape Department of Health said 16 survivors were discharged from Empilweni Gompo Health Centre after receiving treatment there on Sunday.
No arrests had been made and the incident remained under police investigation at the time of reporting.
The legal drinking age in South Africa is 18.