ONLINE CHALLENGE HORROR: 10-Year-Old Died After Inhaling Half A Deodorant Can

A 10-year-old boy has died after taking part in the horrific ‘deodorant challenge’ viral trend.

Joao Victor Santos Mapa died after inhaling deodorant in his wardrobe in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, on 25th August.

His grieving grandmother, Elaine Aparecida Silva, later told local media: “There are several ways to do this challenge, always inhaling the product.

Joao Victor Santos Mapa, 10, poses in undated photo. He died after inhaling deodorant inside his wardrobe as part of a internet challenge, in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, on Thursday , Aug. 25. (Newsflash)

“And Joao inhaled the product inside his wardrobe. When his brother opened the wardrobe door, he fell out.”

Paramedics arrived on the scene and tried to revive Joao but unsuccessfully. He was buried in nearby Sabara on 26th August.

Elaine said: “Joao was a very smart child, a very intelligent child, a trendsetter. He always wanted to see new things.”

Joao Victor Santos Mapa, 10, poses in undated photo. He died after inhaling deodorant inside his wardrobe as part of a internet challenge, in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, on Thursday , Aug. 25. (Newsflash)

Police said in a statement that Joao’s death would be investigated but revealed his body showed no signs of violence.

According to some reports, Joao inhaled close to half a can of deodorant before he passed out.

His father, Fabiano Teixeira Santos, warned of the dangers of social media challenges, telling local media: “Today it was my son, tomorrow it will be someone else’s.”

Joao Victor Santos Mapa, 10, poses in undated photo. He died after inhaling deodorant inside his wardrobe as part of a internet challenge, in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, on Thursday , Aug. 25. (Newsflash)

He added: “He liked the internet a lot and watched the videos on TV. I ask everyone to look out for and take care of their children.

“The internet offers many good things, but it has bad things too.”

In 2018, it was reported that children in the UK were turning up to school with burns on their arms after taking part in a ‘deodorant challenge’ in which participants spray cans of aerosol on themselves at close range until it burns.

close

Don’t miss Our New Story!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.